But if you find yourself trapped in a bad spot, our minds are very prone to fall into a worrisome state. It will happen to every one of us. Maybe things at work aren’t going well, so you start to worry about a paycheck. Or your partner is acting strangely and you worry that they may be unhappy or unfaithful. Or something isn’t going as planned, so you begin to worry about what the outcome will be.
How To Stop Worrying
When I find myself worrying about something, I go through a few steps to put a stop to it quickly.
- Listen to your thoughts. If you want to stop worrying, you need to listen to your thoughts. What are they saying to you?
- Stop. Once you acknowledge the worrisome thoughts, decide to stop them, just for now.
- Think Rationally. Will worrying actually solve the problem? (No). Will it instead cause you to panic or be anxious, possibly making the problem worse? (Yes).
- Clear your mind. Distract yourself for a few minutes. Watch a funny video, read something interesting, breathe, play with your kids….anything to take your mind off of it.
- Visualize. Once you’ve successfully stopped the worrying by acknowledging it and distracting yourself, come back to it. But this time, instead of focusing on the problem, focus on your desired outcome. Imagine things working out perfectly…how you’d feel, what your life would be like, as if you had already done it.
You can stop worrying using this same process. The reason that we worry is that our minds dwell on our problems instead of finding solutions. These steps will help you move beyond the problem to the solution. When you are focused on the positive outcome rather than the negative possibilities, you can’t possibly feel panicked or anxious. Instead, the answers to your problems will begin to appear, and your worry will melt away.
Have a joyful day!
I post a new inspirational article every day of the week (except Sundays). If you enjoyed today’s post, please consider subscribing by entering your email address below. Free daily motivation, delivered automatically to your email inbox!